Thursday, January 15, 2015

First hand experience with Cyanogenmod 11 (M10) - part 1

Hello All,

In my first post I shared my experience in unlocking the boot loader of my nexus 7 2012 tablet. I mentioned in the post that I will be trying out Cyanogenmod ( Custom ROM over Android) in it. Now I have my nexus tab installed with Cyanogenmod 11 (M10)

After exploring cyanogenmod for couple of days, I thought I should share the features which I felt was too good on my tablet.

The first thing I noticed after installing Cyanogenmod is that, the lock screen customization. you have lot of cool stuff to check out in it.




You can now land to your favorite application directly from the lock screen. Apart from that, date time widget with weather forecast fits in perfectly.


The next thing I noticed is that not only lock screen, there are lot of things you can customize with Cynagenmod. Buttons, Status bar, Notification drawer and lot more. Now you can add n number of shortcuts in your notification drawer including camera. I mentioned camera specifically because, it allows you to open camera within the notification area and allows to capture the image there itself


Button customization is another plus. Now you can tell what options needs to be shown on pressing physical buttons on your device.I included reboot and recovery on my power button as it will be very handy at times. Cyanogenmod comes in with few pre-installed applications. These applications are more powerful and have lot of options in them


File manager, camera and terminal emulator were much needed.

Apart from this I could see lot of performance tuning options available within. I will give it a try and will share my experience on them.

One more thing which i noticed immediately after installation is OTA updates. OTA updates on the stable releases makes lot of sense and avoids manual installation on every need. Even you can customize on what release you need to receive OTA which is something very cool

I am very excited to explore the options I have now and will get back on things which are worth mentioning.

If you are new to Cyanogenmod like me, then have a glance of their official page to know more

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

Thanks for reading.


Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment